Effective Date: July 30, 2020
The Services are not for use in medical emergencies or other urgent situations. If you have a medical emergency, call 911 immediately.
What information we collect
When you access or use our Services, we may collect certain pieces of information in order to be better partners in your health and wellness. This information includes Personal Information, Protected Health information, Transaction Information, Location Information and Usage Data.
When you access and use the Services, we may collect the following types of information from you:
- “Personal Information” is information that can be used to identify, contact or locate you. Examples of Personal Information include your name, physical address, email address, telephone number and other information you provide.
- “Protected Health Information” is personally identifiable health information that is protected by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 and its implementing regulations.
- “Transaction Information” is information about the products you purchase, shipping and delivery and any cancelations. When you add a credit card or other payment method to your account, a third party that handles payments for us will receive your card information. To keep your financial data secure, we do not store full credit card information on our servers.
- “Location Information” is a subset of Personal Information that can be used to locate the device you use to access the Services. Location Information may include: (i) the location of the device derived from GPS or WiFi use; (ii) the IP address of the device or internet service used to access the Services; and (iii) other information made available by a user or others that indicates the current or prior location of the user. If you do not want us to collect Location Information from your device, please disable the location setting(s) on your device or delete our Apps. Please note that disabling the location setting may affect certain features of the Services and the Apps.
- “Usage Data” is information that we automatically collect about your use of the Services and your device. This could include mobile device settings and operating information (such as system and version; screen resolution; services version (e.g. 1.0, 2.0, etc.); and device type, identifiers or capabilities, hardware settings; the date and time of your use of our Services; length of time using the Services; and your location at the time of your visit, down to the city-level. This type of information does not usually, by itself, uniquely identify an individual, and may include web browser and operating system, device model and manufacturer, and your activity on the Services.
How we collect your information
We also collect the information you provide directly to us when you do things like create an account or contact us with inquiries and comments, and may gather information from other sources including third party websites. We are collecting this information so that we can improve our communication with you and the Services we provide you.
We collect the information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you:
- Create an account or update any account information
- Access or use the Services
- Add a payment account
- Initiate or complete a transaction for payment
- Interact with any advertising or offers in the Services
- Pay your patient account statements
- Contact us with inquiries and comments
- Receive customer support
- Complete and submit forms offered on the Services
We may also obtain information about you from other sources, including commercially available sources such as data aggregators, public databases and other third parties. For example, if you are on a third party website and you opt in to receive information from us, that website will forward your contact information to us so we may contact you as requested. We may combine this information with the information we collect from you to help us tailor our communications to you and improve our Services.
Data collection technologies
We use certain technologies to collect the data we reference above so that we can customize the content you receive and personalize your online experience.
- Web Beacons: A web beacon (also referred to as clear gif, pixel tag or single-pixel gif) is a transparent graphic image used in tandem with cookies that enables us to record a user’s actions. We use web beacons to count users who have visited those pages, verify system and server integrity and for similar statistical measures.
- Log Information: When you use the Services, our servers automatically record certain log file information, such as your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, operating system, browser type and language, referring URLs, access times, pages viewed, links clicked and other information about your activities on the Services.
- Card/account information stored/saved: Bank or credit card information is tokenized with the merchant account associated with the agreement. Bank or credit card information is never stored in the system. These services are provided by HealthPay24. For additional information regarding these services, contact HealthPay24 at http://www.HealthPay24.com.
How we use your information
We may use the information we collect about you so that we can provide you with better Services, and we may also de-identify your information and aggregate with other users in order to improve our Services overall.
We may use your information in the following ways:
- Provide you the Services and fulfill your requests: We may use your information to register you, administer your account, and provide you the information and services that you request, including information about health care and health-related services and resources.
- Fulfill your purchases: We may use your information to complete and fulfill your purchase, including to process your payments, have your order delivered to you, communicate with you regarding your purchase, and provide you with related customer service.
- Communicate with you: We may communicate with you about the Services, our products and services, and other information that we think may be of interest to you. For example, we may send communications to confirm your appointments with a physician or other provider, notify you of provider office hours, notify you of new or outstanding account statements or payment authorizations, request your participation in surveys and for other purposes related to the care we provide to you. We may send you technical notices, security alerts and support and administrative messages related to the Services. We may also contact you to share information and marketing materials that we think might be of interest to you.
- Enhance your experience: We use your information to personalize and enhance your experience when you use the Services, by tailoring content and advertising and remembering your preferences.
- Improve our Services: Your information helps us improve the content and functionality of our Services. For example, we may use our users’ demographics, interests, and behaviors to create new features and content.
- Monitoring Usage and Activities: Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with the Services.
- Prevent Illegal Activities: Detect, investigate and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities and protect the rights and property of Northwell and others.
- Linkage of Data to Improve Experience: Link or combine with information we get from others to help understand your needs and provide you with a better experience.
- Other Purposes: Carry out any other purpose for which the information was collected.
In addition to those purposes listed above, we may use your information for any other purpose disclosed to you at the time of collection.
How we share your information
We work with other partners to provide certain services to you. We may share your information with them for different reasons, but we will let you know about it at the time we collect the information. We may share your information for the reason(s) disclosed to you at the time we collect it, with your authorization or consent, as well as in the following ways:
- At Your Direction: We will share your information with third parties if and when you direct us to. For example, if you request that we share your information with one of our business partners to take advantage of a feature that our partner offers, we will share your information with that business partner.
- Notice of Privacy Practices: Northwell may also share your Protected Health Information consistent with its Notice of Privacy Practices.
- With our Affiliates, Business Units and Brands: We may share your information internally among our current or future business units, brands, and our affiliates to provide, maintain or improve our Services.
- With Vendors, Consultants and Other Service Providers: We may share your information with our vendors (including third-party hosting providers) who need access to such information in order to carry out work or perform services on our behalf.
- With Business Partners and Parties to Whom We Provide Services: As permitted by law, we may share your information with our business partners, and other third parties for whom we provide services, to provide you with our Services.
- In the Event of a Corporate Transaction: In the event we go through a business transition, such as a merger acquisition, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, bankruptcy or sale of all or a portion of our assets, we may disclose your information to the party or parties of such transaction.
- For Legal Purposes: We will disclose your information when we think it is necessary to investigate or prevent actual or expected fraud, criminal activity, injury or damage to us or others or when otherwise required by law, regulation, subpoena, or court order, or if necessary to protect the rights, property or safety of Northwell or others.
- Third-Party Vendor: We may share Aggregate Information about our users in all legally permissible ways.
Your choices; interest-based content
We want you to be active participants in the Services and would like you to communicate your preferences to us. If you would like to review, or request changes to the Personal Information we have collected about you, please contact us.
You may review and request changes to the Personal Information we have collected about you by contacting us through the methods included in the Contacting Us section below.
We may use third-party service providers to place advertisements on our behalf across the Internet. These advertising service providers may collect (through the use of Data Collection Technologies) information about your use of, and interactions with, our Services. In addition to the information about your use of our Services, our service providers may also use the information about your use to other websites to target advertisements for products and services available from us. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices for not having this information used by third-party service providers, please visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp.
You may opt out of receiving marketing and other promotional communications from us by managing your email preferences via the Preference Center which is accessible via the “unsubscribe” link at the footer of each email.
Northwell respects the privacy of all users of our Services, especially children. We do not knowingly collect information, including Personal Information as defined by the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act from children under the age of 13 without a parent’s or legal guardian’ permission.
Note to international visitors
How to update or change your information
You may update, correct or modify certain information about you at any time by logging into your account or by contacting us using the applicable contact information below. If you wish to deactivate your account, please email the appropriate team below, but note we may continue to store information about you as required by law or for legitimate business purposes.
Vivo Health Pharmacy Site: [email protected]
Vivo Health Pharmacy Mail Order Site: [email protected]
Northwell Health Foundation: [email protected]
Links to other sites
How we protect your information
The security of Personal Information is important to us. We use safeguards aimed to protect against unauthorized use, disclosure, alteration or destruction of the Personal Information we collect and maintain. You should keep in mind, however, that no data transmitted over the Internet is 100% secure and any information disclosed online can potentially be collected and used by parties other than the intended recipient. As a result, while we strive to protect your information, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you transmit to or from our Services.
If you have any questions regarding your medical information, you can find the contact information of the appropriate Northwell facility here: https://www.northwell.edu/manage-your-care/medical-records